The Credentials of
The Credentials of
David B. South
David B. South
- President of Monolithic - Italy, Texas
- Voting Member – American Concrete Institute joint ACI/ASCE Committee 334 on Thin Shell Design and Construction. Former chairman for 9 years. Spearheaded passing of ACI 334.3R-05: Construction of Concrete Shells Using Inflated Forms. September 16, 2005.
- Former Member of International Conference of Building Officials, an international code body that tests materials, specifies and administers codes.
- Member - American Concrete Institute Committee on Thin Shell Design and Construction
- Indiana Concrete Council (ICC) Award, 1985, for Outstanding Concrete Construction: Lesea Ministries Christian Center in South Bend, Indiana
- CALAMCO (California Ammonia Company) - Award for Controlled Atmosphere Storage Facility in Stockton, California, 1989
- Top 100 Products Award for 2002 by Construction Equipment Magazine for the Monolithic Portable Concrete Mixer
- U.S. Patent for Monolithic Domes
- U.S. Patent for Crenospheres
- Canadian Patent for Monolithic Domes
- U.S. Patent for Monolithic Hangar Door
- Dome Living: A Creative Guide for Planning Your Monolithic Dream Home. 2nd Edition. Italy, TX: Monolithic Dome Institute, 2008
- The Polyurethane Foam Book. Italy, TX: Monolithic Dome Institute, 2007
- Think Round: the Story of David B. South and the Monolithic Dome. Italy, TX: Monolithic Dome Institute, 2004
- Blog/Editorial. “President's Sphere.”
- “Monolithic Bridges.” Monolithic Dome Institute. July 22, 2008.
- “Monolithic Cut-and-Cover Tunnels: Airformed concrete tunnels or culverts.” Monolithic Dome Institute. July 16, 2008.
- “Liquefaction and Earthquakes: how Monolithic Domes stand up when all is falling down?” Monolithic Dome Institute. July 25, 2005.
- “The Shocking Truth About Lightning and Monolithic Domes.” Monolithic Dome Institute. May 24, 2004.
- “Risky Business: Hiring an Architect.” Monolithic Dome Institute. January 5, 2004.
- “High Occupancy Design Criteria for HVAC in the Monolithic Dome.” Monolithic Dome Institute. 2002. <>. January 16, 2009
- "Ten Years at Emmett High School." Dome Magazine, Winter 97-98: 2.
- "Low-Cost Housing" Dome Magazine, Summer 1997: 12.
- "'R' Fairy Tale." Dome Magazine, Summer 1997: 28.
- "Salt Storages." Dome Magazine, Summer 1997: 32.
- "Titan Hotels and Motels." Dome Magazine, Winter 96-97: 25.
- "Mono-Quads-Hip To Be Square." Dome Magazine, Winter 96-97: 51.
- "Underground Homes." Dome Magazine, Winter 96-97: 52.
- "Dome Schools." Dome Magazine, Fall 1996:30.
- "New Materials, Old Technology" Dome Magazine, Summer 1996:
- "Making Domes for Schools." Dome Magazine, Summer 1996:
- "Building Monolithic Domes (equipment overview)." Dome Magazine, Spring 1995: 11.
- "EcoShells!" Dome Magazine, Winter 94-95: 36.
- "Bulk Storage Domes, An Inflation of Interest." International Bulk Journal, March 1991: 60.
- "Curved Bin Walls." Bulk Solids Handling, Vol 11, March 1991: 75.
- "Economics and the Thin Shell Dome." Concrete Int. Magazine, Vol. 12 No. 8, August 1990:18.
- "The Past Leads To The Present." Concrete International Magazine, Vol 8, January 1986: 54.
- "Concrete Domes for Industrial Buildings, Water Tanks and Houses Constructed by Using Balloons," by David South, Monolithic Constructors, Inc., Idaho Falls, Idaho and Dr. Arnold Wilson, Professor of Civil Engineering, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. Paper for the World Congress of the IASS Mar Del Plata, 1982, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- "Urethane: Tips on Reducing Fire Risk." Potato Growers of Idaho, February 1974: 14.
- 2008. Building Monolithic Domes with Fabric Formwork. Fabric Formwork for Architectural Structures. CAST Centre, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MA Canada, May 16-18.
- 2006. Monolithic Dome Disaster Survivability. Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) Conference. Little Rock, Arkansas, October 18.
- 2006. Monolithic Domes and the New Madrid Fault Line. Arkansas Emergency Management Agency (AEMA). Blytheville, Arkansas, August 30 – September 1
- 2006. Monolithic Dome Disaster Survivability. Arkansas Emergency Management Agency (AEMA). Blytheville, Arkansas, August 30 – September 1
- 2005. Monolithic Dome Schools and Energy Efficiency. Solar San Antonio: Capturing the Power. Texas Energy Smart Schools Conference. San Antonio, Texas, February 4.
- 2003. How to Start Your Own Private Business. College of Business, Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho
- 2002. Thermal aand Structural Engineering of the Monolithic Dome. College of Engineering. Idaho State University, Pocatello, Idaho.
- 2000. Monolithic Dome Schools, their Energy Efficiency and Strength. Special presentation to Arkansas Director of School Plant Services, Arkansas State Representative, and Arkansas Speaker of the House. Little Rock, Arkansas, April 27.
- 1999. Engineering the Monolithic Dome. College of Engineering, Texas A&M. College Station, Texas.
- 1996 or 1997. “R” Fairy Tale: the myth of insulation values. Annual Meeting, Spray Polyurethane Foam Alliance. Houston, Texas.
- Host of Dome Talk – KNFX, Phoenix, Arizona
- Guest, KROC – Rochester, Minnesota
- Guest – WHO – Des Moines, Iowa
- Guest – KGYD – Guymon, Oklahoma
- Guest – KREI – Farmington, Missouri
- Guest – KENS – San Antonio, Texas
- Guest – KDNN – Crookston, Minnesota
- Guest – KTKK – Back Country, Utah
- Guest – KAMX – Austin, Texas
- Guest - KAUS - Austin, Minnesota
- Guest - KVMR - Nevada City, California
- Guest - KKOB - Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Guest - KICA - Clovis, New Mexico
- Guest - WGMX - Marathon, Florida
- Guest - WBZR - Destin, Florida
- Guest - On the House with the Carey Brothers - National Broadcast
- 1980 - Founded Monolithic Constructors, Inc.
- 1970 - Founded South's Inc., Idaho's largest urethane foam applicator, primarily insulating large storages and urethane roofing
- 1968 to 1970 - Managed computer operations for Chicago Northwestern Railroad
- 1963 to 1968 - Computer programmer and operator at Atomic Energy Commission
- 1957 to 1962 - Worked in real estate development and general contracting
- Bachelor of Business Administration/Business Engineering - Idaho State University - Cum Laude - 1968